Well, OK it feels sort of like jail …
So, tomorrow will be a week in the Marina…. a very, very lonnnng week… no beaches, sunshine and friendly folk here. We have been awaiting repairs, purchasing more anchor chain and hanging out ashore. The marina has locked gates, washroom facilities and about 1000 boat slips – most occupied by locals…
After much searching we discovered our water leak was due to the hot water tank. It has now been uninstalled and installed about 4 times – I think Glen could do it in his sleep. We are really hoping that the last attempt to repair it will come through in about an hour when a welder we found returns it and Glen attempts the final installation. If not in the bin it goes and we will reroute the water to close the loop and wait until perhaps St. Lucia (as the prices for a new one here are outrageous).
The other issue has been our dinghy motor that began to act up about a month ago and was getting worse each time until 2 days ago it gave up the ghost… So back to “Fred Marine” and in the shop it went for a couple of days. Thankfully he was able to repair it (minus a fuel filter as he couldn’t source one)… so it will do until the next port. We took it out today and all is well.
Lastly, we have been finding that many of the anchorages in the chain of islands now are steep to ashore.. meaning it is difficult to get in water less than 30-40 feet to anchor… and alas we didn’t have enough anchor chain to do so. We were able to add another (very expensive 30 m) to our existing chain so we should be set now.
As you can tell from the above, Guadeloupe has been a bit of a ‘do not return to’ island on our list for the return journey. It is run down and decaying… much left in disrepair since the last hurriance to go through. Grafitti everywhere, which we haven’t seen before, and we felt a little unsafe at the public beach the other day with a group of 4 tough looking shouting guys. On top of that without much in the way of French, it has been a challenge to communicate…. and most people are not willing to even try….
If all goes according to plan…. we hope to sail out of here tomorrow morning for either the “Saintes” or “Dominica” depending on the wind and weather.